About Me

My photo
hi, I am a 40+ year old who loves jewellery and all things sparkly. I also enjoy trying out and reviewing new makeup products, finding stylish walking sticks, reading and writing book reviews. I will review anything from bird tables/ hedgehog houses to the latest fashion! My Instagram account is @sparkling_magpie

Saturday 28 January 2017

Assisted Travel: Virgin Trains

As someone who cannot walk very far, my life would be even more restricted if disability assistance be it blue badges, ramps, lifts and lots of seating areas did not exist. I recently went to London travelling on Virgin Trains but would not have been able to do so without their excellent assisted travel policy/ provision. 


                                                             

Virgin Trains state that their  "overall Disabled People’s Protection Policy that helps us meet the needs of customers who are disabled or whose mobility is impaired. Our trains are for everyone and we’ll do everything we can to make each journey relaxing and enjoyable" They manage 17 stations and have customer services and booking offices at   London Euston, Birmingham New Street, Manchester Piccadilly and Glasgow Central as well as customer service teams at Milton Keynes Central and Liverpool Lime Street to help you and answer any questions

Virgin JourneyCare allows the traveller to arrange assistance, reserve seats and wheelchair spaces, and provide detailed rail information.  Virgin use Voyager and Pendolino trains which comply with accessibility standards.

I booked my assistance online - I have put the link down below - or if there is less than 24 hours before you travel there is a help/textphone number (in the link). They then email you confirmation and a detailed list of your travel information and booked requirements. I booked the buggy but there are other options/ help available.

I was met at the train station taxis rank Manchester Piccadilly station by a customer service assistant and  a buggy which took me to the first class lounge (I would recommend this lounge as it is comfortable, there are drinks and snacks and is stress free at rush hour when the main station is packed!). The buggy then came to pick me up to take me to my seat on the train. He helped me to my seat on the train and ensured I was comfortable before he left me.

I was picked up at Euston by the buggy. It came on time and took me straight to the taxis rank. He flagged me a taxis - so I jumped the queue which was great.

Coming back I went to Euston customer services. I only had to wait 5 minutes to be taken to my seat on the train. Again at Manchester Piccadilly and taken to the car park where my lift was waiting.

Without this service I would not be able use the train service and it is clear that Virgin Trains have taken time and effort planning it all out, ensuring that there is accessibility for all. 



Virgin Assisted Travel: https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/experience/assisted-travel
Book JourneyCare: https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/experience/assisted-travel/journeycare
Making rail accessible: https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/~/media/vt/files/pdf/making%20rail%20accessible/making%20rail%20accessible.ashx?la=en&hash=B37A18F4E313D850F91943C378010F73A478F94D


No comments:

Post a Comment