About Me

My photo
hi, I am a 40+ year old who loves jewellery and all things sparkly. I also enjoy trying out and reviewing new makeup products, finding stylish walking sticks, reading and writing book reviews. I will review anything from bird tables/ hedgehog houses to the latest fashion! My Instagram account is @sparkling_magpie

Wednesday 23 May 2018

Book Review: A Night of Secret Surrender by Sophie James



A Night of Secret Surrender is written by Sophie James and published by Mills and Boon (Historical).  This is a historical romance, set in 1812 war torn Paris. Both  Celeste Fournier and Major Summerley Shayborne are wanted by the opposing factions (Anne Jean Marie Rene Savary, Choef of police  v  Henri Jacques Clarke,  Minister of War).  aiming to fill th political vac  which developed after Napoleon left Paris to take Russia.  Celeste and Shay have met before war broke out in France.  One hot sultry night, many years ago Shay had taken Celeste's virginity and thrown back Shay's declaration of marriage in his face.  The next day she left for France with her father.  Now, famed for her disguises, she warns Shay who is now an informant for Wellington that his life is in danger and he must escape from Paris, which is where he was hiding.  Celeste is working as a rogue informant for the French.  By telling him his life is in danger she is endangering herself.  They attempt escape to Spain disguised as monks. 

I hated this book, it is the only one I have been unable to finish.  Hence why I stopped at monks as I gave up after the description of Shay shaving his palate so he could pass as a monk.  There are just too many storylines and characters  entertained with historical facts.  The flashbacks to Langley are interesting but drawn out.  I enjoyed that the novel is historically correct but it takes over and controls the direction of the novel rather than the characters themselves.  


I received this book via Netgalley and Mills and Boon in exchange for a honest review. I am a #MillsAndBoonInsider #netgalley

Available from: 

No comments:

Post a Comment